Saturday 29 April 2017

Letter to the Newspapers:


Dear Sir/Madam

What is the possibility of publishing some or all, of my letter?

I'm a 70-year-old male (pensioner) living by myself and been fighting with neighbour HMO property owner/Stevenage Borough Council & the Local Government Ombudsman for 16 months for justice and my basic human rights.

It is regarding (5) heavy hydraulic-spring fire doors and (1) extra main entrance/door fitted in a prefabricated, substandard 3 bedroom house I believe not suitable for HMO.  2 of these doors – (1 fire door and the extra main entrance/door) fitted only 1 meter close to the very thin party wall that divide us. The council officer did a biased, covered up investigation of the fire doors noise. Then I escalated my complaint to their stages 1, 2 & 3 investigations, where officer manager covered up and supported the officer.

At the early stage of the investigation, I believed the officer was also being spiteful towards me, because I complained about her for not seeming to take my complaint seriously, because of the biased way she was handling the investigation.  Therefore, I requested a different officer to carry out the investigation because I did not trust the appointed officer to come to the correct decision - because of her words...attitude...and lack of importance of dealing with my complaint; but my request was refused. It has now proven my fears was right because the officer did exactly as I thought - covered up all aspects of the noise investigation.   In addition, I went on the local Radio Station to air my problem and frustration regarding the HMO and the council's attitude to the investigation.  In addition, because of a statement made in a letter from the Council, I believe they wilfully refused to tackle noise.  Moreover, my own knowledge, and understanding from another HMO source…the council will cover up any noise and would not do anything because they benefit from HMOs, because HMOs are the new form council tenants - hence the cover up.

The Council/officer, informed me that; 1st recording to quiet and not admissible; 2nd recording, recorder broke down (where noise recording would have been recorded louder), noise not statutory, noise not loud; and do not see why Council/HMO should spend money to fix noise because of officer professionalism, expertise and hearing, noises not statutory nor loud.  In addition, I believe my 6 weeks diary recordings were ignored.  I am amazed that this is a “so-called” expert officer that did not know how I can hear fire doors noise on the first-floor hallway and bedrooms of my house coming from the ground floor in HMO neighbour’s property!” Moreover, there are other aspects of officer’s professionalism and expertise that is questionable; because of other comments, she made to me.  In addition, there were no recording to substantiate officer/council’s claim that noise is not statutory nor loud.  I also learnt that council recording equipment was not suitable to record fire doors noise (that sounds like Sonic Booms).  In addition, according to the officer’s colleague (the recording engineer), that they have never in history recorded fire doors noise before and that I was the first.   Therefore, how is it that this officer is so expert and professional in the sort of ‘Fire Doors’ noise I am experiencing?

Officer assured me that she will ask the property owner to adjust closures on all fire doors and will return in a week to see if property owner complied.  But, a letter from the council stated that she asked property owner to adjust ‘only some’ of them, and had returned to the property to check owner had complied and noise have been stopped.  Officer claimed, noise been “significantly” reduced; but officer did not return to my own property to substantiate this.


Subsequently, I escalated my complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman regarding the council failure and negligence of not dealing honestly with the noise.   However, I learned that the LGO could not be an independent organisation, as claimed...  They seemed to act as the council's Lawyer in the way in which they agreed and defend them - 100% throughout their ‘biased’ investigation.

I am shocked and very disappointed with all 3 outcomes after 16 months of agony, stress, anxiety, high blood pressure, mild stroke and hospitalised, all because the council forced this HMO situation upon me. It is as though they have put a loaded gun to my head!

The whole system is stacked against me and people like me in similar situations, there is no justice for us, and nothing we can do about it! The councils and the LGO can do as they please and get away with it because they know we are helpless against them!

I understand the only option left for me now is to challenge their decision through the judicial review in the High Court. High Court on my pension? Moreover, why should I have to bear the expense to take court proceedings when it is the council/HMO at fault and guilty in all of this - if only they will admit it!  Why should they force this situation upon me and get away with it? Of course, they are the council - a law onto itself that is not easy to challenge, even when they covered up and lie!

The LGO investigator final decision wasn't any different from their draft decision...in spite of all my evidence I submitted in support of my complaint; they were ignored because investigator already made her mind up with her draft decision to defend and support the council. Moreover, the LGO investigator treated me with contempt too - by not contacting me for evidence to support my complaint before she started the investigation against the council. In addition, when the investigation had finished, the LGO officer did not contact/inform me.

I informed the council and the LGO regarding the non-suitability of the property for HMO purpose (which the council already knew about) but neither the council nor LGO did not accept it in support of my complaint. The council is at present renovating these same (prefabricated substandard) styles of houses (that are still council own) to meet the proper environmental standard.

I have a copy of a letter from my GP regarding my health and the effect the noise is having on me, which I delivered to the council's chief executive, but it was ignored.  In addition, my GP also referred me to the wellbeing service, and as a result, I have been referred for counselling.

Before the HMO moved in, I had my property on the market for sale because I wanted to downsize.  However, when the HMO moved in, I had to take it off the market because of the extent and severity of noise.  Now all the investigation have failed me, I have no alternative left now than to put it back on the market hoping I can sell it.  However, I am struggling to sell, because, there are questions being asked by buyers regarding the legitimacy of a substandard letter from the council to support their claim of noise being reduced.  Therefore, because the council/LGO did not do anything positively to stop noises, it looks as though I will be unable to sell my property.

Yours faithfully,

Norbert Glasgow

No comments:

Post a Comment